Beginning April 20, 2011 you will be required to enable SMTP authentication in your EONI email software settings.
If you always access your EONI email via the web using our webmail system you DO NOT need to make any changes and you do not need to read the remainder of this email.
However if you use email software such as:
Windows Live Mail
You MUST IMMEDIATELY enable SMTP authentication in your email software. If you do not enable SMTP authentication you will receive email but will not be able to send any email after April 20, 2011.
EONI is making this change to make our email system more secure. In the past some EONI customer accounts have been used by unauthorized persons to send high volumes of spam email (junk mail). Just one EONI account sending a high volume of spam email can cause email systems throughout the Internet to reject or delay legitimate email from all EONI customers. By enabling SMTP authentication EONI will be able to automatically manage these situations. Managing these situations will prevent delays in delivery of legitimate mail.
Over the past few years EONI has had customers enable SMTP authentication when our technicians have been assisting with the setup of email services. This means many of you already have SMTP authentication turned on. However not all customers have SMTP authentication enabled. So, this is where we need you to take action.
1. Open the software you use to access your email.
2. Click Help then About in your menu bar usually at the top of your email software window.
3. You should see the name of your email software shown here.
4. Click this link to see our page of instructions: http://www.eoni.com/sa
5. Click the name of your email software on our web site to take you to the instructions to enable SMTP authentication
6. Follow the instructions to confirm SMTP authentication is enabled
PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW! Do not wait another day…please enable SMTP authentication now.
If you need assistance, please call us at 541-962-7873 or 800-785-7873.